I'm almost a week late on posting about Marc's birthday but I decided it was better late than never! Last Friday was Marc's 24th birthday! He thinks we're getting old but I am happy each year I get older because I feel that's where I should be. But I did tease him about being in his mid-twenties now instead of early-twenties. His birthday was one that isn't typical. It started out with me dropping him off at his unit at 5:30am for his weekend guard drill. So a quick hug, kiss and a brief "happy birthday" was about all I got in. Then I went home, crying as I usually do, missing Marc so much even though I knew he'd be home Sunday night. I pretty much wasted the day which was alright because I'm finding myself more and more tired the farther along I get. Then at about 7:00pm I got a text from Marc, which shouldn't happen. Where his unit go to drill there is no reception so I had resigned myself to not hearing from him at all this weekend. But alas, the text came in and said "how about I come home tonight and we party?" First I thought... is this a joke? If he was just saying this to let me know how great it would be IF that could happen...angry doesn't even explain it. my second thought... is this an old text that he sent before they got too far out of range and I'm barely getting it now? So I texted back, "What?" Within a few minutes...a response!! He's not out of range!!?? What's happening!!? He repeated again "I think I'll come home tonight." No longer being able to beat around that bush I just said, "Marc! You can't do this to me unless you are freakin' serious." Well, it ended up he was serious and I picked him up and we got home at 9:00 pm. I guess they were short some beds and he just threw in that it was his birthday and his Sergeant was beyond nice and let him come home for just one night. He was really tired and fell asleep pretty early but it was worth having him home with me!! I felt so crappy that I didn't have anything ready for his birthday since I was planning to give him his presents, make his birthday dinner, and bake his favorite cake for Sunday, but he didn't seem to mind. I am so grateful for Marc. He's everything to me and just the fact that he could sleep by my side on his birthday night was the best thing ever!! He left the next morning at 5:30am again and did have to stay over night til Sunday to finish up his guard weekend, but it wasn't as bad knowing I only had one night alone. Happy Birthday, Babe. You're my favorite!
The second half of my post is a tribute to veterans, soldiers and those who preserve our freedom. And ironically, this involves my husband as well. With Veteran's Day being yesterday and the pride of my country swelling inside me, I feel I need to write some of these feelings down. Yesterday Marc and I watched the 53rd annual Utah National Guard Veteran's Day concert on tv. I remember when I was in high school, I dreaded singing in the 2 hour Veteran's Day concert and I'm ashamed that I didn't try to get anything out of the experience. And yet 6 years later with one hand in my husband's, who serves in the National Guard, my other hand on my tummy that is bulging with a little amazing, growing baby girl, whom I'm going to bring into this world and also into this country and looking around and see how much I'm blessed with, I could hardly contain the tears that welled in my eyes. I am not a fan of Toby Keith's song "An American Soldier" not because I'm not patriotic or that I don't think the words have meaning, just because I hate Toby Keith's voice. But last night as I watched a soldier from the army, dressed in his ACU's exactly like I see Marc wearing every guard weekend, singing this song, I was deeply touched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyJTIXKI1mA
I'm proud of my husband and every other person who sacrifices to serve in the military in any capacity for the dedication, patriotism and love that they display for this country, America, and the people who live in it. Both my Grandpa's fought in WWII. They sacrificed everything for freedom. I still believe that the American Flag stands for something, and it stands for freedom. I still believe that the National Anthem of the United States of America is a reminder of just how hard our founding fathers fought for liberty, for their families, for freedom. My love for God, Family and Country has been instilled in me not only by the example of my grandfathers, but Marc's constant devotion to God, Family and Country. Marc's unit will be activated and deployed in the near future. I know the date. I'm scared. But I'm proud of Marc and his willingness to serve and I am willing to stand by his side and support him in the name of Freedom. Thank you Veterans, past, present and future. God Bless America, Land that I love.



4 comments:
Marie,
What a sweet post. It really made me appreciate my husband and country a lot more tonight. It's so good to hear that you guys are doing well and see what you are up to. Yea for blogging!
Happy birthday Marc. I never remember birthdays, you know how the family is. It sounds like it was a great one, lucky you to get to come home; God does answer prayers. And thanks for serving the country. Your time and effort won't go unrewarded. See you guys at Christmas time. Much love
Happy belated birthday Marc! Marie it was SO good to see you the other day! It was nice to hang with you for a while :) Have a fantastic day!
well happy belated birthday to marc.. and i do remember the dreaded practices for veterans day and how we all hated it... mainly cause people sucked at picking up on how to sing songs or we had retarded teachers trying to get us to sing in strange ways haha.. oh the warm up exercises from that taylorsville lady! but i agree.. whne the day came this year, that is all i coudl think about and how i missed being able to sing there and watch each solider stand when their song was played.. what a great feeling!
Post a Comment